Sunday, June 22, 2014

Solstice


Some things don't change.
The winter solstice is poking bit of slanty sub-tropical light further back into the Brinecave than usual and I notice my work shoes need a lot of spit and polish. Well, a lot of polish and buff. 





The smell of the boot polish reminded me of the shoe shine boys in Marrakech, sleeping on the streets at night and plying their trade by day.
I was reminded of my own boyhood, where we all had to polish our own school shoes and the teacher would give us a whack if they weren't shiny enough.
And I thought, some things are beyond technology and apps and downloads. The shoe shine smell is the same as it was when I was a kid. And Mondays still seem like they always did.
At least the solstice has passed. 
The days are slowly getting longer.
And the sun is shining.

Fabric inlay fin from Classic Malibu. Thanks for the free wax.

No comments:

Post a Comment